Bantry based Senator Denis O’ Donovan (FF) has been seen as the first supporter of the proposed Marine Harvest salmon farm at Shot Head, Adrigole. SAVE BANTRY BAY contacted Senator O`Donovan and asked him to explain his views to the electorate:
You have been quoted in the Southern Star as follows:
Thank you for your e mail and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I wish to advise you of the following:
1. I did not contact the Southern Star, they contacted me for a general comment.
2. I was requested to provide a written letter in support of the proposal to attach to the application to be sent to the Department but I refused to do provide this as I felt it would be undue political interference.
3. I have had a number of discussions with Bantry Harbour Board about their concerns and also have been made aware of the concerns of Conoco Phillips in relation to the SPM facility.
4. I am acutely conscious of the rights of fishermen to express their concerns and to object to any fish farming proposals.
5. I have also spoken to Minister Coveney with regard to the proposal.
6. Finally, you should be aware that it is the present Government’s policy to promote aquaculture and mariculture in conjunction with BIM.
In conclusion, I hope my remarks were balanced and fair.
SENATOR DENIS O’ DONOVAN